Church and Rectory
On August 26, 1906, the first Mass of St. James Parish was celebrated by Fr. John W. Keyes and a handful of Catholic families from the southernmost neighborhoods of Kansas City. A wooden crate served as a make-shift altar on the second floor of Walsman Hall, located at 38th and Woodland. On Sundays, this dance hall was the site for the religious services of Baptist, Latter Day Saints and Catholics. Three rooms above Brinkley’s Drug Store served as a rectory, parish office and chapel for weekday services.
The first church building was located on the northeast corner of 40th and Tracy. This small wood-framed structure measured only 30 by 60 feet. Fr. Keyes slept in the vestry. The first Mass celebrated in this building was on Christmas eve in 1906. In 1907, the church was cut in half and 30 feet were added in the middle.
The rectory, located at 3909 Harrison, was purchased in 1908. This property would adjoin what would become the permanent location of St. James Church.
The current church building, located on the southeast corner of 39th and Harrison, was constructed in 1911-1912. The church was built of limestone salvaged from an abandoned bridge project (called the Winner Bridge) that was to cross the Missouri River in Kansas City. For the cost of dismantling the piers and moving them to the new location, Fr. Keyes was able to obtain enough stone to build St. James! The first Mass in that building was celebrated on Christmas Eve, 1912. The building was dedicated August 24, 1913.
The old church was converted into a gymnasium and used until it burned down in 1913.
School and Convent
A four-room school was built at 40th and Tracy in 1907. Measuring only 53 by 57 feet, the school served 34 children beginning in September 1907. The Sisters of Mercy from Omaha, who staffed the school, temporarily lived at 4034 Forest until a convent next door to the school was completed in the late fall of 1907. Fr. Keyes also resided in the convent until the rectory was purchased in 1908. The convent was expanded in 1910-1911, and a chapel was added.
The original school building burned down, and a new school was built in 1924. The Sisters of Mercy operated the school until it was closed in 1972. In 1976, the school building was torn down. Stones from the school were used in the construction of a wall around the church property at 39th and Troost.
St. James Catholic Church was established in 1906 under the guidance of Msgr. John W. Keyes. At that time, St. James was located on the southern border of Kansas City (39th Street). Now, though the address remains the same, the church is in the heart of Midtown. Over the course of the past 100+ years, the parish has seen many changes in its people, structures and the surrounding community.
“St. James Parish has experienced a history that is rich in grace and rich in challenge. St. James has seen feast and famine: more parishioners than the church could seat and so few that it almost closed its doors; enough resources to provide abundant ministry and so little resources that it was on the brink of extinction.”
- Deacon Ross Beaudoin, Former Pastoral Administrator of St. James
“The history of the parish is inspirational and a testimony to the hard work and authentic faith of your predecessors. St. James has been a place where clergy, religious and lay faithful have drawn strength from the Holy Eucharist and collaborated in the spread of the Gospel.”
- Most Reverend Robert W. Finn, Former Bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph
“To my mind St. James is the parish that refused to die! By all measurements of parish viability – location, population and income – St. James became a candidate for closure not once, but twice, in recent years. But it survived and is currently undergoing a mini renaissance which, God willing, will usher in an even greater future.”
- Most Reverend Raymond J. Boland, DD, Former Bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph
We, the people of the St. James community of faith, commit ourselves to building the Reign of God for all people, serving especially our neighbors in Midtown, Kansas City.
St. James Parish will be a vital Catholic Christian presence at the crossroads of Kansas City, meeting the spiritual needs of our members and impacting both the Midtown neighborhood and the larger community. We will be a growing and diverse community where worship and sacramental life are joyful and vibrant; where people are empowered to live the Gospel; and where, especially, the needs of the poor and disenfranchised are lovingly and humbly addressed.
Our parishioners are diverse, hailing from 25 countries, speaking 15 languages, ranging in age from infancy to 100 years and having many other cultural, lifestyle and socio-economic differences. Yet we live and work as members of one family.
Top row: Palau, Canada, Brazil, Cuba, Jamaica, Germany, Spain, Grenada, U. S., Italy, Mexico, Micronesia, Nigeria, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Holland
Bottom row: Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Sierra Leone, Trinidad & Tobago, Mother Earth, Tanzania, Dominica, Ireland,Togo
Monday through Friday:
Reconciliation - by appointment
Baptism - contact parish office
Marriage - contact parish office 9 months in advance
Anointing of the Sick - by appointment
St. James Catholic Church
3909 Harrison St
Kansas City, MO 64110
Follow us on Facebook - CLICK the Icon